[I was in দুই নাওত দুই ভৰি position for multiple days as the deadline for D Phil application for BSG and other Oxford departments were coming closer (end of 2013). BSG was recruiting PhD scholars for the first time and there were lot of enthusiasm among the Public Policy students. After spending several days thinking all aspects, I decided NOT to apply for D Phil. In fact, I postponed the whole PhD stuff for 5-6 years]
1) I don’t want to and also, I don’t think I am
ready to spend 3-4 years going depth into some topic. Whenever I try doing small research it pisses me off like anything. When Ngaire
told about the investment for D Phil in terms of hard work, I realize I am not
on for it. "D Phil is a
big investment of time; if you really don’t possessively think about the topic,
this will be of no worth", she said. Now, I realize I feel no excitement with the word D Phil.
2) There is no topic is in
my mind where I want to go depth, or in other words, I have several topics in
my mind. Hence, I am not mentally prepared.
3) I don’t want to be in Academia; UK is fine, look at the US people-
they don’t even know that people can go outside academia after doing D Phil(ref- the after-graduation study fair at Exam school). In case of
organizations like WB, I believe they prefer people with work experience more
than D Phil.
4) Timing issue- I have to get married, spending 3-4 more years
alone in Oxford would be a nightmare something that I experienced in the
Christmas break.
Single life, alone, without
regular classes, D Phil will be most boring. May be after marriage, it will be a good idea to come back to
complete D Phil to UK.
5) I got the first taste of Oxford
and earnestly want Oxford to come back to my life after I get a few more years of
maturity. This desire rules out of applying to other universities of UK or elsewhere.
6) I learnt so many new things and I want to put those
into practice and see whether these knowledge work in real life or not.
However
I like BSG’s approach for D Phil i.e. to work with international organizations’
projects during the D Phil. But they need more experienced people for that and my chances would be minimal in BSG. Hence, I decided not to apply for D Phil, although, I
can see an array of positive things for D Phil as well, may be on a slightly
lower scale.
[I am not sure how this decision will effect me in future. In 2014, BSG accepted five D Phil students in its first cohort- all are super highly experienced such as Linda Bilmes, Aaron and so on]
No comments:
Post a Comment