Wednesday, December 25, 2024

First hospitalisation/surgery of this sapiens life

 Since I started thinking about health seriously, I had this mixed feeling of pride and fear about not being hospitalized even once in my 40-year old lifetime. Although there was a sense of confidence when I think about this, the portion of fear was growing with time. I wanted to taste hospitalization for some minor ailment. Should I say God has listened to me finally?

FibroScan Report
As written in my 'Turning 40' post, I did the Fibroscan in Guwahati just before leaving for Shillong. Although the status of the liver is 'as expected' with grade 2 fat, a calculus measuring 10 mm was noted in GB lumen. It was a surprise for me as I never experienced any pain in the stomach. At times, I do feel over filled-up even after small intake of food. Nevertheless, surgery was the only way out as the opening for GB is only 2 mm, am told. Shifting to Shillong was given more priority that time. I patiently waited for the Christmas vacation to get the operation done. The under the Saal tree theatre festival and Richa's marriage also coincided. I took a full weak leave from 16 Dec onwards. Before the Christmas holidays end on 1 Jan, 2025, I should be able to move around- that was the idea.

The selection of hospital and doctor took some time. Firstly, I rejected the choice of place as Guwahati mainly because of the support system and condition of Agia- Ghy road. Now, in Goalpara, there was no network hospital of Safeway TP (National Insurance), the Mediclaim TPA of DIC. I was prefering Nirmala due to proximity from home. In case of doctor, Mr. S.N. Sharma is a famous name. Al-Salam also has an expert doctor (Nina was also operated there) for Laparoscopy, but choice of date depends on the hospital. Money was not a constraint as I would get reimbursement. But I want a hospital who would support during the reimbursement process with signature and information. Feedback from doctor circle of Goalpara yields another name- Dr. Shahzad Ali Ahmed of the Solace Hospital. The accountant of Solace is an acquaintance of Deuta.  Finally, we zeroed down on Dr. Ahmed at Solace, with second preference being Dr. Sharma at Nirmala.

The GB- it's big!
The first interaction with Dr. Ahmed on 18 Dec went for 45 min; he was nice enough to explain me the whole process. We decided to get admitted next day and get the operation done.

On the operation day, Deuta took me to hospital empty stomach for sonography. Nina gave me rice in a tiffin to eat after sonography as surgery was due in the evening, before which Maa and Nina would join me in the hospital. After the completion of blood test, X-ray, ECG and Sonography, the doctor needed to take a decision as my BP was fluctuating 150-100 even after I consumed 40mg telma in the morning. The other reports were perfect, the calculus was measured 14.8 mm this time. Finally, the anesthesia doctor gave go ahead and I was admitted in a cabin. Dr. Ahmed told the surgery will be done sooner and no food should be eaten. The tiffin remained as it was packed. 

First time canula was fitted into my hand. Lying on the cabin bed is something I always avoided. The moment has come finally. The saline started. The ward boy came to shave my belly (with Nina's advice I already shaved my lower parts). Deuta told that something would be injected compelling me to go to the loo; it didn't come though. There was no painful or bad moments before I was taken to the OT.

I was taken to the OT at around 4-15 PM. After some time, the anesthesia doctor came and told that I would go to sleep now. I don't remember anything after that.

After an hour, I was brought out. I remember the doctor telling that surgery was done successfully. Then I was taken to recovery room via a stretcher. I saw Maa, Deuta-Maa (in law), Nina and Rodali on the way. I was happy. There was no pain, only discomfort in the belly.

Rodali has been so understanding with the 'hi'

The night was passed peacefully. I kept going to bathroom with my own. The only discomfort was to sleep on your back looking straight up. I tried doing left-right, the nurse came running. When the mouth got dry, the nurse used to give some water via cotton.

There were three other patients in the recovery room. None of them could move. I was feeling fortunate only. The nurse and ward boys kept having all personal conversation which was quite annoying. Solace was having some badminton competition among its staff members. So much excitement for that. The time went very slow though. I felt like the morning is a long long way.

The next morning I had to urinate so frequently that the nurses stopped the saline. One ward boy came to remove the pipe on the right side of the belly. Maa came to see me, she stayed the night in the cabin. Two decades ago, I was night attendant for her gallstone surgery. She is still strong enough to become my attendant. Dada, Mintu da, Deuta and finally Nina came with Rodali.

The doctor came and asked whether I want to get discharged. My BP and body temperature were under control and there was no worry. Dr. Ahmed has been super cool; he just doesn't want to keep the patient even an hour longer. I liked the man. 

Nina transferred me to the cabin and started completing all the formalities such as medication, discharge letter, payment etc. She was superb in completing all activities by herself. Between, Rahul bhini, Ity Da and Maa(in law) came and sat in the cabin. 

Nina drove me home alone. This is the kind of ideal independent wife I always wanted. Happy me! The hospital bill came 30K only, after the accountant gave discount of 7K. The medicine and test etc to be calculated separately. My next visit is fixed after ten days to cut the 'silai'.


 The next day Nina showed me the gallstone. It is solid hard as shown above. I really can't understand how this gets formed and how I was surviving with this. I sincerely thank God for getting my first surgery done without any hiccup (until now).

At home, food diets are restricted. In the first two days, I get the discomfort as certain postures initiates a 'haan mari dhora' pain, seems like a certain vessel gets stretched in a painful way. Deven moha also confirmed the same feeling post his surgery. Slowly I recovered from that. Now, the only discomfort is while sleeping. I went to loo after 3 days alone and took bath after 2 days with help from Nina.

Dressing done by Nina after 5 days


This is how it looks



My first experience of getting hospitalized or doing a surgery has been good so far. I am thankful to God, the doctor, family members mainly Nina and Maa and my office people for granting me the time period. I can also appreciate how childbirth gives pain to the health all mothers in the world. Now, I am less afraid to face another hospitalization. 

But, I wish that day will never come in my life time. 




No comments:

Post a Comment