Sunday, February 14, 2021

First 'big' decision post marriage - renting house in Delhi

I have been just thinking since morning today to write something on this autobiography blog. This is my last weekend in Delhi alone (after coming here on 1 Feb) before Nina joins me on Tuesday. 

The first big decision I took after marriage where I had to constantly think about my wife is the house renting. Although it is not such a big decision, still, I want to write down.

Yesterday, finally I zeroed down a 3bhk at Dwarka sector22, Pocket 1 in DDA SFS flat. Below are some of the reasons:

1) First I tried to decide the location. Vasant kunj and Dwarka were the only two places I considered. The newly constructed E1 was good, rent was also reasonable. However, the under-construction environment was not livable. Also, I didn't want to pressurize myself every morning on my mode of commutation to office. E2 goes with same logic, along with water issues. The points were applicable for Nangal Dewat with additional point of the initial dark stretch from main road and lack of habitants which is most important criteria for Nina's proposed school. Hence, I moved towards to Dwarka, although my manager also lives there and taking metro train (runs after 10 Min) would be daily activity. In Dwarka, sector 22/23 were at walkable distance from Sector-21 metro station and hence most preferred. The existence of CR, Mamu and Pragjyotishpur apartment in the nearby areas was plus point.  


2) Secondly to select the society, cost and Nina's requirement played major role. For Nina's proposed school, I need a place where visitors will be allowed without much restriction, hanging of hoardings etc will be allowed. For other societies and standalone flats it would not have been ideal from catching students and restriction in entry point of view. Cost is always there. For other private societies, the maintenance cost is around 3000/-, for the selected ones it 300/-. Consequently, lift is not there and flats are old styled. But, I can easily live with that.

3) For selecting types, for dance practice, one room is needed. Hence, there is no other option than 3 BHK. Additionally, I got this at the front of gate#1 of the society and this would be amazing from Nina's point of view.

4) On furnished/unfurnished, I was prepared to invest more than 1 lakh just to buy household items (bigger fridge, washing machine, sofa, bed, one split AC, mirror etc). Luckily, the house is furnished. It will help me in maintaining minimal buying and quick movement is there is any new development is life.

5) On number of floors, I tried avoiding top floor and wanted to keep within second floor. But I got this on 3rd floor (not top floor though)

6) On owners, I don't have any choice. The owner Col Rajdeep Singh- found to be a good guy only. 

7) On security, I requested for one month and the owner agreed. For brokerage, CR is negotiating for 20 days, let's see. Since the broker helped (not directly) in reducing from 22K to 21K, 1K to them for a year, banta hain.

8) Parking - I don't have a choice as I don't own a car now. Although there is no reserved parking at DDA, there are ample spaces for parking.

9) Lighting was an issue which Nina also highlighted. All the rooms in this flat (except kitchen) are well ventilated. 

10) Electricity bill was a big reason for not shifting to Gurgaon. I hope this will be checked in Dwarka.


Unwanted points: Will have to travel with manager on most occasions in a single metro, walk upto 3rd floor and no access to tersest, small balcony due to the store room, Smaller compared to other 3BHKs in the colony, DDA is considered 'oh' compared to the nearby private societies, absence of Mahipalpur type markets.

All the best - happy stay !

No comments:

Post a Comment