I have been thinking on writing about this. Sitting at the
airport waiting for my flight to Guwahati has given me enough time and space.
Do you remember my logic while deciding on returning to India
leaving McKinsey? Consultants can’t be
the real impact maker; they can only consult, give advice, analyze data, but they can’t take decisions. I want to be a decision taker/change maker, not a helper.
![]() |
| Any get together with BSG folks question what am I doing |
By the time, my condition forced me desperately pray for NISG result, all my logic about ‘consultancy’ was destroyed. I seriously
needed a job and the ‘government’ quotient was more than sufficient to make me bite the bullet.
But after spending more than a year, I should reflect back
now. And the McKinsey logic so much relevant today. There are multiple
dimensions here, let me try to put down:
1.
The so called career progression of Indian
bureaucracy does not have provision for outside & contractual consultants.
Department of Personnel has no clue how many consultants are there with
different ministries, what they are doing, what’s their career look like (I did a RTI). Even
within one ministry, recruitment happens in divisions/groups. So, the cohesive
feeling never comes. Consultants only think for their particular group or
project, not for the entire ministry/department. Even inside one department, nobody
knows the career progression bit.
2.
One of the reasons for the above conclusion is
the asymmetry in the objectives of the consultants and the management. The
management, who are civil servants have zero incentive to think about the
career plan for the contractual employees. They are measured against
deliverables, where number of documents prepared by consultants may be one
parameter.
So, one way of looking at this kind of role is to make money
(short term consultancy pays lot of money, but recruitment happens mostly with
contacts) or a placeholder for a few months. You just can’t plan a long term
career. And, the high time is slowly coming for me to take an alternate path.
So, what’s next from NISG?
One possible role I was looking at the government
affairs/public policy manager type of role in industry association or private
sector. In fact, I was thinking very highly about those positions and making efforts. But
the Global Conference on Cyber Space (GCCS) brainstorming meeting on 12 April changed
lot of my perspectives. The meeting was attended by industry association
(NASSCOM, FICCI, ASSOCHAM, ICA etc) and
people working in government relations type role (Ankhi Das of Facebook,
someone from Microsoft etc), as well a few from NGO (Aspen Centre, ORF etc)
What these people are doing is not much different from what
consultants do. Or, maybe brokers /lobbyists do. The verbal spat between the
founding president of ICA and Facebook’s public policy director at the start of
the meeting was a shocker. I didn’t find any of their suggestions praiseworthy.
Even from ministry’s point of view, we did not call them expecting big
knowledge. It was just to show inclusiveness and to get some money as
sponsorship. If I really look from impact point of view, it was an eye-wash,
with some spending of public money for tea/snacks. But wait, we will showcase
that meeting as something ‘awesome’ and move file accordingly. The attendees were
also given impression they are the experts and they are dictating government.
It was a perfect case of win-win scenario.
Do I really want to get into those jobs? What’s the future
for them? With no business knowledge, they are certainly not going to be CEO of
a company. With no political background, they are not going to be people
representatives. With no civil service, certainly, they are not going to an IAS
too. So, after 3-4 years , they will switch the company and do the same things
for another couple of years, and so on.
So, here comes probably the big issue of my career.
I am nowhere. I am not a software engineer (like Akash,
Alvaro), not a public policy guy (like Rajat Shetty), not an MBA (all the
private sector biggies), not an academia (no PhD), not been able to get a job
in International org (Like Mehreen, Qingling etc). Which way should I go from here? Old people asked to stick to a domain (medical, engineering, lawyer etc), and I can see a point in that
argument now. You have to tell people the area where you are an expert one day and also
rise in that expertise area.
With the above thinking, I think should I apply for PhD now?
Would I be a different person then? Or, MBA (Stanford-Reliance one again?),
Alibaba’s AGLA programme, A job in WB etc would have been great. But job
getting takes exceptionally long time for me.
Talking about jobs, I have applied for around thirteen jobs until now- NITI Aayog, Gates Foundation, Alibaba, MasterCard, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon,
Catalyst, UN, IPE Global and so on. Except rejection from a few, I have not even contacted
a single time. From my job searching experience post- Microsoft and post-Oxford, I am not
much surprised though. But the question remains- why?
Why I need to drag so long? What’s wrong in my profile? Is it the fact that the jobs I am applying does not care much about profile, rather contacts? This
is a valid argument though. But how can I improve? NISG can’t rescue me all the
time.
I had to go through my old pictures and blog from Harddisk
yesterday to regain my confidence. I was feeling very low. Anyway, let's see. I
hope this home trip will bring something.
Are you sure? Have you forgotten how many home trips you
planned this way from Microsoft? Ha ha !
I am still at airport. It is 6-24 AM now. Flight is at 7-45 AM.
But good bye anyway.

No comments:
Post a Comment